Colon and semicolon

Do you utilize them a lot?

s;e;m;i;c;o;l;o;n;s c;o;n;f;u;s;e m;e

I use semicolons regularly, but colons rarely; I never seem to have a reason to use a colon.

what about:
when you wanna list shit
for any reason
and you wanna seem like
you know your shit

list: of, everything, you, want, to, say

how;do;semicolons;work?

>how;do;semicolons;work?
Just think of it as something between a comma and a period.

i use ur mom colon everyday lmao

I don't use colons other than when making lists (e.g. 1: point 2: point) or when they basically have to be used, like when writing time. I went from never using semicolons to using them a ton out of laziness because I discovered I wrote a lot of run-ons that could be saved by semicolons.

Semi Colon a pause
a break more important than a ,
marks boundaries between main clauses

Colon counterbalncing
OR poising of importance - stress / highlights importance
OR significant division / contrast
OR addition that is immediate

I do; what about you?

Colons when I want to make a list for rhythm. Maybe once every 2000 words. Semicolons often.

I use semis all the time because I'm a retard who constantly writes huge sentences

Try replacing your semicolons with full stops. It makes you easier to read.
Colons are ugly.

I dont use punctuation

i do use colon every morning after coffee

there's literally no reason to use a semicolon outside of lists

Yes: I use them a lot.

I disagree, semicolons are easier to read because it's implicit all parts are connected to the particular thought. Full stops are fragmentary, as if passing from one idea to the next.

nice

Sometimes, for me at least, it can be hard to figure out when to use a semicolon; you just have to go with your gut, I guess.

yes, they are a necessary part of Java and C notation
i use curly brackets a lot too

Nice,use, of, comas

I feel like overusing semicolons is the mark of a crappy tumblr-tier writer. I actively avoid them unless absolutely necessary.

Should be
> I feel like overusing semicolons is the mark of a crappy tumblr-tier writer; I actively avoid them unless absolutely necessary.

> I avoid them
is an extension in sense of the first clause so a semicolon is needed.

You need more emdashes in your life, user

I love a nicely punctuated sentence
>I think, then, that the species of oppression by which democratic nations are menaced is unlike anything that ever before existed in the world; our contemporaries will find no prototype of it in their memories. I seek in vain for an expression that will accurately convey the whole of the idea I have formed of it; the old words despotism and tyranny are inappropriate: the thing itself is new, and since I cannot name, I must attempt to define it.

good.

Good, minus the missing 'l', apostrophe, and 'that/which'.

>I disagree,
>,
a fucking comma

Embarrassing

You clearly have no idea what you're doing

>>I think, then, that the species of oppression by which democratic nations are menaced is unlike anything that ever before existed in the world; our contemporaries will find no prototype of it in their memories. I seek in vain for an expression that will accurately convey the whole of the idea [that] I have formed of it; the old wor[l]d[']s despotism and tyranny are inappropriate: the thing itself is new, and since I cannot name, I must attempt to define it.

Yes.

I do; I think they are useful.

Yeah, in older prose punctuation was more accepted; there were more commas, more semicolons, more em-dashes. It all can make it flow better n my opinion.